Disputes between family members can often become heated and get out of control. Unfortunately, this can lead to a person being charged with domestic violence. If you are facing allegations of domestic abuse, you need to seek legal assistance from The Law Offices of John Phebus today. Our NW Phoenix domestic violence attorneys will thoroughly investigate your case and defend you in court.
Why choose The Law Offices of John Phebus?
Defending domestic violence charges requires help from an extensive attorney, and the team at The Law Offices of John Phebus is ready to get to work on your case.
- Every client will receive a free and confidential initial consultation with us about their case.
- An attorney will be the one to handle every aspect of your case, from the initial appearance in court to the trial, if it gets that far.
- With more than 20 years of combined legal experience handling domestic violence cases in NW Phoenix, you can be sure we are ready to defend your charges.
Understanding Domestic Abuse Charges in Arizona
Familial and other close domestic relationships can be complicated, and there are often times when arguments result in the police showing up. This could lead to unwarranted charges that nonetheless need to be defended. Domestic violence is not technically a crime in AZ, but it is an allegation that another crime has been committed between someone on a “domestic relationship.” In Arizona, this domestic relationship can extend to various groups of people, including:
- Current and former spouses
- Anyone you have a child with
- A woman pregnant with your child
- A person you are dating or having sexual relations with
There are various crimes that are part of Arizona statutes that could become domestic violence offenses. This commonly includes:
- Assault and aggravated assault
- Unlawful imprisonment or kidnapping
- Sexual assault and rape
- Stalking, threatening, intimidation, or harassment
- Violating a protective order
- Malicious mischief
- Cruelty to animals
- Disorderly conduct
- Child abuse
Not only will a person convicted of domestic violence in NW Phoenix in these situations face the penalties associated with the underlying charges above, but they could also face other penalties. This is why it’s advised to speak with a NW Phoenix domestic violence lawyer to avoid the following consequences:
- Lose their child custody and visitation rights.
- Lose their firearms
- Be required to take extensive domestic violence or anger management classes
- Have emergency protective orders issued against them
How Will a Domestic Violence Attorney Help With My Case?
These cases can become very complicated and very difficult for the person facing charges to handle on their own. Often, you are going up against aggressive prosecutors looking to make an example. A skilled NW Phoenix domestic violence attorney will be able to gather all of the evidence being used against you and then conduct their own investigation into your case. There are several defense strategies that an attorney can use for these cases, including:
- Demonstrating that you were acting in self-defense
- Showing that you are the victim of false allegations
- Proving nobody was harmed in this case
- Showing that there is no “domestic relationship” between you and the alleged victim
- Proving that no crime was actually committed
Contact our team today
If you or somebody you care about is facing allegations of domestic abuse in Arizona, seek legal assistance immediately. At The Law Offices of John Phebus, we are going to thoroughly investigate the case against you as we work to formulate the best defense strategy possible. The goal of our NW Phoenix domestic violence lawyers will be to get the charges against you reduced or dismissed altogether. You can contact us for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling (623) 847-7117. We represent clients in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Buckeye, Glendale, Surprise, and throughout Arizona.