Theft is taken seriously in Arizona by law enforcement and prosecutors, and the consequences of a guilty conviction can be devastating. At The Law Offices of John Phebus, we are ready to help if you or someone you care about has been charged with theft. Our NW Phoenix theft offenses attorney will get to work investigating the charges against you and prepare to defend your rights in court.
Why Choose The Law Offices of John Phebus?
Theft charges require help from an attorney who knows how much is at stake for you, and The Law Offices of John Phebus have more than 20 years of experience to bring your side.
- You can count on a free and confidential initial consultation of your case.
- Our attorneys are familiar with the Maricopa County and Northwest Phoenix courts and prosecutors.
- We will take the time to thoroughly explain this process to you, as well as the possible outcomes of your case.
Contact our attorneys for a free case review, we have office locations in Glendale, Phoenix, Tepe, and Scottsdale and serve clients throughout Arizona.
What are the Consequences for a Theft Conviction in Arizona?
Theft charges in Arizona are covered under (A.R.S. 13-1802). There are various ways in which a person could face these charges after any of the following actions:
- Controlling another person’s property with the intent to deprive them of it.
- Using someone else’s property or services for longer than allowed.
- Obtaining another person’s services and property through misrepresentation (fraud).
- Controlling property that is known to be stolen.
- Obtaining services without being able to pay for them or agreeing to pay for them.
Penalties for theft vary depending on the value of the property stolen. The following penalties apply:
- Less than $1,000 – Class 1 misdemeanor
- Up to six months in jail and fine of up to $2,500
- $1,000 – $2,000 – Class 6 felony
- Six months to 1.5 years in jail and fines up to $150,000
- $2,000 to $3,000 – Class 5 felony
- Nine months to 2 years in jail and fines up to $150,000
- $3,000 to $4,000 – Class 4 felony
- 1.5 to 3 years in prison
- $4,000 to less than $25,000 – Class 3 felony
- 2.5 to 7 years in prison
- $25,000 or more – Class 2 felony
- 4 to 10 years in prison
Additionally, another common theft charge that is applied is shoplifting (A.R.S. 13-1805). This is a form of theft that deals with a person taking goods from a shopping establishment during their regular operating hours. A Northwest Phoenix theft offenses lawyer can help you defend this type of theft as well. Shoplifting can occur in a variety of ways, including:
- Removing the merchandise without paying for it.
- Paying less than an item is worth by using deceptive means.
- Transferring merchandise from one container to another in order to pay less.
Shoplifting less than $1,000 worth of merchandise is a Class 1 misdemeanor and could result in 6 months of jail time and fines. Shoplifting more than $1,000 in Arizona will result in felony charges and more serious penalties.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
If you or someone you care about has been charged with theft in Arizona, you need to consult with an attorney as soon as possible. At The Law Offices of John Phebus, we have the experience you need to handle every aspect of your case. Our NW Phoenix theft offenses attorney will conduct a thorough investigation into your case in an effort to get the charges reduced or even dismissed. You can contact us online for a free consultation or by calling our office at (623) 847-7117.