Domestic abuse charges are taken very seriously in the state of Arizona. At The Law Offices of John Phebus, we understand that disagreements between family members can become heated and passionate. If you are facing serious charges after a domestic dispute, contact our team immediately. Our Surprise domestic abuse defense attorneys will investigate your case and work to build a defense on your behalf.
Choose The Law Offices of John Phebus for help today
When facing serious domestic abuse charges, turn to a criminal defense attorney with vast criminal law experience. At The Law Offices of John Phebus, our team is ready to help.
- Our attorneys have more than 20 years of combined legal experience handling domestic violence cases in and around Surprise, Arizona.
- Your attorney will personally manage every aspect of your domestic violence case, from the initial court appearance all the way through to the conclusion.
- We offer a free and confidential consultation for all clients facing domestic violence charges.
Penalties for Domestic Abuse in Arizona
Many people do not realize that domestic violence charges can involve more than just disputes with spouses or live-in partners. Disputes between the following groups of people could also result in domestic violence charges:
- Former spouses
- A woman pregnant with your child
- A person you are dating
- Anyone you have a child with
- Parents and children
As covered under the state’s domestic violence statute, A.R.S. 13-3601, domestic violence charges can apply as enhancements to other charges related to domestic abuse. This can include:
- Assault or aggravated assault
- Unlawful imprisonment
- Sexual assault
- Violating a protective order
- Malicious mischief
- Cruelty to animals
- Disorderly conduct
- Child abuse
- And more
In addition to the penalties that already applied to those charges, domestic violence enhancements could also result in:
- A loss of firearms privileges and the ability to own a firearm
- The issuance of emergency protective orders against you
- The loss of child custody or visitation rights
- Requirements to take domestic violence classes
What Will a Domestic Violence Attorney Do for the Case?
Domestic violence charges, as well as the underlying offenses that a person could face in these situations, often carry severe penalties upon conviction. Even if the alleged victim of the abuse does not want to pursue the case, prosecutors in Arizona can still file charges. An experienced Surprise domestic abuse defense lawyer will investigate all evidence being used against you. They will also conduct their own investigation into the incident.
There are several defense strategies that could be employed in these situations, including showing that:
- No actual crime was committed
- The alleged victim suffered no personal injury
- There was no physical contact at all
- You were acting in self-defense
- You are the victim of a false allegation
- There is no domestic relationship that qualifies for domestic violence enhancements
Contact Our Law Firm, We Are Ready to Help
If you or somebody you care about is facing a domestic abuse charge in Arizona, contact an attorney as soon as possible. Domestic abuse charges are taken very seriously by law enforcement and prosecutors, and ignoring the consequences is never a good idea. At The Law Offices of John Phebus, we are ready to thoroughly investigate the charges against you in order to formulate the best defense strategy possible. When you need a Surprise domestic abuse defense attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by filling our online contact form or by calling us at (623) 847-7117.