Disputes between family and those you live with can quickly become heated. Unfortunately, they often lead to allegations of domestic abuse. This can lead to arrests and charges. At The Law Offices of John Phebus, our qualified and experienced team is ready to help if you need a Buckeye domestic violence lawyer. We will investigate your case and work to get the charges against you reduced or dismissed.
Why choose The Law Offices of John Phebus for this case?
When you need help with domestic abuse allegations, you must turn to an attorney you can trust both personally and professionally. At The Law Offices of John Phebus, we are ready to help.
- We will bring more than two decades of experience handling Buckeye domestic abuse charges to your case.
- We will stick with you throughout your entire case. This includes taking your case to trial if that is what it takes to properly defend your rights.
- We offer a free and confidential initial consultation of your case.
What are the Consequences of a Domestic Abuse Charge?
Domestic relationships can be complicated. When arguments occur, emotions can run high. When most people think about domestic abuse allegations, they think of instances that occur between spouses and live-in partners. However, as we can see under A.R.S. 13-3601, domestic abuse allegations can happen in disputes with various “domestic relationships.” This can include:
- A current or former spouses
- Anyone you have a child with or someone pregnant with your child
- A person you are dating or are having sexual relations with
In Arizona, there is no specific “domestic violence” charge that a person can face. Rather, there are a number of charges that can be enhanced if they are considered domestic-related. Some of the most common crimes in Arizona that result in a domestic violence enhancement include:
- Simple assault and aggravated assault
- Sexual assault and rape
- Stalking, threatening, intimidation, or harassment
- Unlawful imprisonment or kidnapping
- Violating a protective order
- Malicious mischief
- Cruelty to animals
- Disorderly conduct
- Child abuse
Importantly, a person accused of domestic violence in Buckeye will face the penalties attached to the underlying charge (misdemeanor or felony penalties). A domestic violence enhancement could also result in a person:
- Losing the child custody or visitation
- Losing their right to own a firearm
- Firearm confiscation
- Being required to take domestic violence or anger management classes
- Facing an emergency protective order
Possible Defenses for a Domestic Violence Charge
A Buckeye domestic violence attorney will work to formulate a solid defense based on the specifics of your particular case. Some of the most common defenses an attorney uses in these cases include:
- You did do the crime you were accused of
- You were acting in self-defense
- You are a victim of false allegations
- The injuries were caused by accident
- There is no proof/not enough proof to support the charges
- You were provoked
- There were police procedural errors in the case
What can you do moving forward?
If you or someone you care about is facing domestic violence charges, please seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At The Law Offices of John Phebus, our knowledgeable and experienced team will investigate every aspect of your case. You can rest easier knowing that you have more than two decades of experience by your side. If you need a Buckeye domestic violence lawyer, you can contact us for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling (623) 847-7117.